Oh man, what a debacle! I was scheduled to present a talk to a room full of biologists at 4pm after my math class today. We hyped up this event before hand as well as we emailed back and forth confirming the date, settling the conference room with the projector, inviting different researchers, and one of the profs writing my grad school recommendations was going to be there as well. I put it in my calendar a week before, looked over my code on the weekend, and on the day of the event even reviewed my notes and my Powerpoint, stressing out a little about one inconsistency. I needed to do well at the event to make a good impression on my recommender, who doesn't know me well otherwise, and possibly get into some more interesting research. This was a big deal!
And after my math class today, I casually walked back to my office as usual, remarking at the red leaves around and thinking that it's beautiful. It was 4:10pm. It was raining a little bit and I regretted not bringing an umbrella. And I just went back to my office and worked on homework. In my absentmindedness, I JUST TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT MY TALK!!!!
ONE HOUR PASSED, I didn't think to check my calendar with the event highlighted, I didn't check my email from my professor at 4:30pm telling me the room full of people have been waiting for me for a while, I didn't look in my bag to see that I actually have notes prepared from earlier today, it just TOTALLY VANISHED from my mind!
So as I was leisurely walking around in the LSRC, getting a drink of water, using the bathroom, and thinking to myself hurray for a time to rest! It's strange, I thought I was supposed to be really busy today, why do I have so much time. AND THEN IT HIT ME, OH SNAP... I immediately ran out of the building, went to the biology department, into the conference room, as my professor was trying to salvage the day by going through my talk himself with the room full of biology researchers. It was 5pm.
The people turned out to be forgiving, at least so it seemed. They allowed me to catch my breadth and continue the presentation, and the discussion turned out to be interesting. But WHAT A DEBACLE! AGGHHHH!!! Why am I so freaking absentminded! There goes my recommendation letter... Do I have Alzheimer's or something?
Efficient Market is One of Many Nash Equilibria
17 years ago
3 comments:
oh my goodness!!! i'm glad you were still able to give your talk, and plus, it makes a good story :)
Ouch ...
... eek. *hugs*.
dearest. u can set ur google calendar to alert you x amount of time before each calendar event by text msg to ur cell. hope that helps!
Post a Comment