Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Biking is beautiful

Over my past month of living in Kunming I've really come to love coasting past the chaotic traffic, zigzagging between vehicles and pedestrians, sometimes fighting for the lane with buses and motocycles--on my bicycle. Although my bike is relatively small and functions such as gear shifting do not work so well (I borrowed my grandma's old bike), it's very practical and fits my needs: it can accelerate well when I pedal really hard; the brakes work reasonably well after I had them fixed twice; the bell makes a sound if I press it in the right way. Overall my bike provides such freedom and mobility and it's awesome! No more 40 minute bus rides to work (which can potentially turn to 50 min to an hour if I'm unlucky while waiting for the bus)--now it's 20 minutes of good exercise + some need for speed action + good music + freedom to sing loudly and out of tune without being hit (at least not yet).

Also, you get to see interesting things like this:



Only in China.

No comments: