Sunday, January 10, 2010

Memorable moments with parents

During this winter break, for the times I'm in Toronto, I hung out quite a bit with both of my parents. I now feel a lot closer with both of them. Here is a sample of memorable snapshots. It's hard to analyze them, so I depict such moments just as they are, in my awkwardly phrased point-form:

- driving through the snow with my mom during Christmas eve, looking at people's dazzling lights; hearing stories of how she has always liked colorful lights, and how she used to go out during festivities to look at colorful lights; for the first time in my life, imagining my mom as being a little girl inside.
- over a 3 hour dinner, sharing with my mom my most heartfelt lessons during my 3.5 years in college--with regard to friendships, romantic relationships, how I feel God has worked in my life--things close to my heart that I previously found hard to share with her. Amazed that the previous walls evaporated and that she now actually supports me in my deferring graduate school and spending a year in China despite not having a clear plan. (Previously, she objected to such ideas so much that I was afraid of telling her anything.)
- hearing my dad say that family is not in 刘家庄 (village where my dad grew up); family is when I come back and say we go out for lunch; "that is the only family left."
- Visiting my dad and his new wife's not-yet-built condo. Watching my dad's weathered eyes gleam with hope as he plans for retirement. Imagining my dad and his new wife living their old age at this not-too-shabby place; feeling happy for him.
- Walking with my dad around the site of his new not-yet-built condo, just like the old times when we used to walk outside together; listening to his reflections about his time as a professor and his current job in the nuclear consulting company; hearing him debate the trade-off between job security and exciting/interesting work. Realizing my dad has so much relevant experience and wisdom I need to learn from.
- Praying with my dad before he dropped me off at my mom's place. This is significant because my dad does not believe in God and previously it was hard to share this aspect of my life with him.

I wish I was more open with my parents back when in the days I spent so more time with them.